Monday, October 8, 2012

The Wrong Way to Manage


I’m fired up.  I’ve been seeing this problem lately of other people’s inability to stand in someone else’s shoes.  Far too many people in this world can’t seem to recognize that others may have a differing point of view that may be just as valid as theirs.  More importantly, people don’t ever want to hear that they may be incorrect in their assumptions.

Today I was alerted to a situation whereby someone in a position of power had an issue with an underling.  The underling, apparently, had not done what he/she had been asked to do.  Rather than directly approaching the underling and asking why, this person performed the task his/herself, then admitted this to me, saying, “I want to see how long it takes for un-named person to complete the task.”

I’m sorry, but that’s not a good way to foster the potential in others.  It’s catty, deceitful, and wrong.  I’m not at all surprised by this situation today, as this person is a habitual micromanager and loves to illegitimize the work of others.  This person also repeatedly shirks ethics and moral obligations, but that’s a whole other story that I won’t get into now.

Why are people like this?  Why can’t people just approach a situation as reasonable adults, discuss the reasoning behind their conflict, and come to some sort of understanding or agreement?

I’m not saying I’m perfect.  My wife told me yesterday that we no longer had Hershey’s Syrup to make chocolate milk for my son.  I still checked our pantry anyway.  She derided me for this, but I could have sworn I saw some in there the day before.  What I saw was barbeque sauce.  Oops!

But I’ll at least admit my mistake.  I won’t play games, especially if I hold a position of power.  Games, after all, are for grade school children.

No comments:

Post a Comment